College of Engineering Sporn Award
$2k bonus paid by VT
The College of Engineering Sporn Award is given annually to an engineering faculty member who has demonstrated excellence in undergraduate instruction. The award was established in 1966 and made possible by gifts from Dr. and Mrs. Phillip Sporn as well as university alumni. Eligible faculty members are those who have not won the award in the past three years. The faculty member must have taught or is teaching at least one undergraduate course during the current academic year. The winner of this award receives $2,000.
Criteria for Eligibility
The following are the requirements of the faculty who is being nominated for the Virginia Tech College of Engineering Sporn Award:
- Have taught or are teaching at least one undergraduate course during the current academic year
- Have not received the College of Engineering SPORN Award within the past three years
Nomination and Selection Process
- Nomination of candidate. All nominations must be submitted through the online form. The applicant will receive a confirmation email once the entire nomination is received and complete from the SEC Awards and Scholarships Chair.
- Nominations will be reviewed by the SEC Awards and Scholarships Chair. Finalists will be chosen and presented to the General Assembly for voting.
- GAM Presenation & Voting: The top nominees for each faculty award will be presented to their nominators in the General Assembly. The General Assembly will vote on the final award receiptent.
- Notification & Awarding Presentation: The final award receipient will be notified of their award. The final award receipent will be presented with their award at the SEC's Awards Banquet in the spring.
The deadline for nominations of the 2022-2023 academic year is January 27th, 2023, at 11:59 PM. If you have any questions concerning the nomination process, please contact the SEC Awards and Scholarships Chair.