Torgersen Leadership Scholarship
$2k to 2 students ($4k total)
In 1985, the Student Engineers’ Council established a scholarship fund in honor of the Centennial Anniversary of the College of Engineering and to honor Dr. Paul E. Torgersen, former Dean of the College of Engineering and ultimately former president of Virginia Tech.
The Paul E. Torgersen Scholarship is awarded annually to two rising seniors who have portrayed outstanding leadership and academic achievements. The scholarships will be awarded at the SEC Awards Banquet in late February to be used during the following academic year.
Criteria for Eligibility
The following are the requirements of the student applying for the Torgersen Leadership Scholarship:
- The applicant must be at least a junior in the College of Engineering (75 hours passed at the end of Fall 2021) with a minimum of two semesters before graduation.
- The applicant must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- The applicant is only allowed to apply for this scholarship once during their academic career
- The applicant must be able to attend the SEC Awards Banquet on February 24th, 2023.
Application and Selection Process
- The application consists of four parts: general information, essay, resume, and one letter of recommendation.
- All applications must be submitted through the online application. The applicant will receive a confirmation email once the entire application is received and complete from the SEC Awards and Scholarships Chair.
- One letter of recommendation, to be submitted through this link by the recommender.
- Applications will be reviewed by the SEC Awards and Scholarships Committee. Finalists will be chosen and contacted to schedule an interview.
This application may only be submitted once. The deadline for applications of the 2022-2023 academic year is January 20th, 2023, at 11:59 PM. The deadline for letters of reccomendation is January 25th, 2023 at 11:59 PM. If you have any questions concerning the application process, please contact the SEC Awards and Scholarships Chair.